Tuesday, October 21, 2008

right department?

With the economy in shambles I have been trying to reshuffle my finances so that I can best managing them. Suffice to say, it’s a mess to begin with. Three different firms, seven accounts and no unified plan. As I go about consolidating them, one rises to the top, of being a royal pain in my ass. Charles Schwab, if you know him well you can call him chuck, or just call him chuck anyway. This cheap marketing ploy is weak at best. The lack of connection between the idea to how the Charles Schwab business is run, is none existent. You would hope that talking to chuck would mean that everyone is personable and friendly. Hopefully when you talk to “chuck” he listens, right? Euro RSCG is one of the largest agencies in the world. No blame to them, great campaign, shake of the finger to the partnership between the two. Just as they talk about in Life After the 30 Second Spot, agencies need to do more than just write a new idea for each client. The idea works, but Chuck isn’t there to answer the phone.
My side of the story:
Closing an account was a pain. I had to activate an online account to avoid the transaction fee. In order to get the account to work I had to call, go into the office, show my ID, go back home and then closeout the account. Why cant they, one, put a computer in the lobby or solve the back and forth. Two, have the online assistance service be able to process the order for me. If I was someone who traded regularly the ease of doing one trade for me would be a great aid.
Changing the name on my account. For some reason my account had my mothers last name and not mine. Apparently the names have to match perfectly, never mind your social security number. After talking with the people in the office again, I was referred to the client services department. It took me three client service representatives and a manager telling me that my name is different and asking for proof of name change to get no where. It shouldn’t have taken so many people (Insert joke, how many Charles Schwab employees does it take to _________. My fav. How many Charles Schwab consultants does it take to screw you in the ass? 4, something I never want to see). I have bosses, parents and teachers that have told me what to do. I don’t need my finical firm telling me that my name is wrong and I need to fix it. Having everyone trying to be so polite and using my mother’s last name calling me Mr. Flaster, didn’t help. Oh the irony. Calling to correct them on my name and they don’t listen. “I’m sorry Mr. Flaster, there is nothing I can do . . Mr. Flaster you must fill out this form.”
Sure there are rules that help govern a company. But, if you are presenting the image of being a helpful listener, you should at least remove some bureaucracy, or cross-train people so that they can actually help your clients. At the end of my many calls, I asked if I was talking to the right department. Maybe I should be talking with the marketing department, since there is no way client services can help me.

No comments: